Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A little background

1st post... I'm not a great designer by any means so I'm sure this page will change when my wife takes a look at it.  I honestly don't know what I'm doing there, sorry...


Roughly 6 years ago, just 2 months after marrying my sweetheart Noelle, I was diagnosed with Stage I Testicular cancer.  I had surgery to remove the tumor.  Even though the doctors were pretty sure that I was cured with surgery, I didn't want to take any chances so I went through 6 weeks of chemotherapy.  Home Free!! Or so I thought...  Cancer is has got to be one of the sneakiest most devastating diseases that someone will ever have to deal with.  I say devastating because even though technology is amazing and survival rates keep going up and up; mentally, it can just destroy you if you aren't careful. Its never straight-forward but comes at you sideways and when you least expect it. Sorry, more on that later.... There are actually very few people who even know what we went through, we only told our very good friends and some of the people in our church in Texas.  I regret not telling more people. 

Some facts...
Testicular cancer is most prevalent cancer in Caucasian adult males ages 15-40.  Roughly 1 in 250 (or 0.4%) of us will have to deal with this in our lifetime.  If it is caught early, before it has metastasized into the lymph node system, the cure rate is nearly 100%.  Even if you catch it late and the tumor has metastasized into the lungs, brain or other parts of the body (as with Lance Armstrong who had more than 10 tumors all throughout his body), the survival rate is greater than 85% with chemotherapy.

This is why I regret not being more open.  If you are a male in this age group, you HAVE TO DO SELF EXAMS!  The better you know yourself the more likely you are to realize that there is something abnormal.  And if there is even a slight question, go see a Urologist and have an ultrasound done.  There is absolutely no reason not to.  

So, we endured cancer, graduated grad school and moved to Spokane, WA.  We love it here and have spent the last 4 years making a home in the beautiful Inland Northwest.  We spend every spare second on the lake or in the mountains in the summer time.  In the winter time, I stay very active in 2-3 basketball leagues and we just try to maintain our sanity until the next spring/summer.  We love it.  Even after all that nasty chemotherapy we were able to conceive our beautiful baby girl naturally.  Brynnley is the light of our lives and has to be one of the smartest, cutest kids on the planet :-)  Her eyes are going to make her mommy and daddy lots of money one day :-)  Here are just a few recent pictures taken a few months after her 2 year old birthday.  

 


And, for those of you who didn't know, Noelle is now 5 months pregnant!  Another little girl is due January 28th or so, once again conceived naturally!  We can't be more excited and Brynnley can't wait to be be a big sister.  She is so excited!

So, as you can probably guess by now, our world was turned upside down a few weeks ago when my cancer returned.  This time, I'm not keeping quiet.  We've made some great friends, we're very active in our church.  Also, because of my job and Noelle's job we're pretty connected with the medical community in Spokane.  I hope that people knowing about our fight will help to spread the word and raise some awareness.  It's not an easy thing to talk about but it is so important.   

In my next post I will detail a little bit more of whats been going on in the last few weeks.  My goal is to update this blog everyday as I work my way through more surgery and chemotherapy.  I'm doing this as an outlet for myself, an easy update for family and friends and to spread awareness that testicular cancer is very real and needs to be openly discussed within families and by all men.  I'm sure that some days will be mundane and might just be a sentence or two. I'm sure some days it won't be pretty and might be hard to read but its reality.  So, here we go again.....

17 comments:

Geo said...

I was floored when I heard the news last week. Last night my daughter prayed for you un-prompted. We are rooting for you! Thanks for sharing!
-Brandon

Sean said...

Just like last time, you'll get through this! You are in our prayers daily. We love you!
-Sean Lambert & Family

Unknown said...

You will beat it man. You have our full support. We will all pray for you.

Rob, Crystal, Tori and Barret Nerpel

The Oakey's said...

We are behind you all the way! You'll have an amazing story to tell when all of this is over! We love you guys!

Camie, Matt, Ryan, and Halle

Terri Kofoed said...

You have the faith and prayers of many people to help you carry on in the process of getting better!

DG said...

I am one of your mom's roommates from Rick's College about 35 years ago. She was one of
the most self disciplined ladies I have ever
known. So, I can see how you are the same way,
I know with that determination you will study
and be led to know how to beat this. Bless you!
It will all work out in the end - if it hasn't
worked out, it's not the end! Debbie H. Goodman
(from SLC, UT)

Dolores said...

Adam we love you and so greatful you are putting up such a good fight. We will pray for you everyday and give Noelle and Brynn our love. Gma and Gpa

Renee said...

I am so impressed with your blog and what you are writing and fighting about! Thank you for sharing and letting us be a part of what you are feeling.
Having gone through some hard things also, you appreciate the love and support people have for you especially during difficult trials. Our prayers are with you and your family!
Renee

Dave and Debbie said...

We love you so much! We are proud of the way you are dealing with all of this. I know that Heavenly Father loves us and blesses us during these trials. The love, strength and comfort that comes from these comments is evidence of His blessings. Dad and I are thinking of you, Noelle and your girls constantly. You are all in our prayers.

bigd said...

Hey Adam, it has been a very long time. I somehow got your link forwarded to my email tonight. I wish you well Adam. I have not had cancer, but I understand to an extent where you are coming from due to a health problem I have had since 1997. I wish you the best and fight it always. You'll be in my prayers. -Donovan Browning

Lambert the Sheepish Lions said...

Adam, you are amazing for sharing your story with us. Thank you.
I'm so grateful that you have an amazing wife to be by your side throughout all of this.
You are a wonderful person with a sweet spirit. We love you and are praying for you daily.
Tell Brynnley that her cousins miss her.
-JinHee

Gayle Lambert said...

Thanks for posting this blog. We are with you through this entire fight. Prayers are offered for you on a minute to minute basis and you are always in our hearts. May you find strength in the love of your Heavenly Father and your family. We are always here for you and Noelle and are only a phone call away. See you tomorrow. We love you! Dave and Gayle

Bill and Reba said...

Adam,
Bill and I were sorry to hear this news but you and Noelle have great upbeat attitudes and that makes a big difference in the outcome of the battle.
Take care,
Bill and Reba

Donz said...

Thank you for sharing.we love and support you. Don and Cyndee

Unknown said...

1oneironMom and I are so proud of you. We think about and pray for you, Noelle and the Girls day and night. Thank you for the inspiration. Though my past days have been filled with pain and hurt for you and your family, my heart has been strengthened because of your strength. I know you will rise above this and in the process you will help others. Love you, Dad

EriKaren said...

I've never met you, but I think you know my husband, Erik Sanders. I just wanted to let you know that you're in our prayers and I think your attitude towards this is awesome and you have every single reason in the world maintain that attitude. Stay close to Heavenly Father though all of this and He will help you through! I'm sure you know that by now, but it's so important. Good luck and God bless!

browerfamily said...

We are here for you Adam, Noelle, Brynn, and baby! Please don't hesitate if you EVER need anything, just call! we're praying and fasting for you!