Monday, October 18, 2010

Day 1: Not a great start

I was pretty pumped to get started.  I had my PSP, zune and a book or two ready for my 4-5 hours and then I'd go home.  I was even optimistic enough that I drove myself to my 1st session......hold on, change in author.  This is now Noelle, I will be finishing the blog entry tonight.  So Adam drove himself to his first chemo session, which was today.  The last time he went through chemo, nearly 6 years ago, he wasn't affected too much by the drugs until the second week or so.  He felt confident that he would be able to go to and from chemo today with no problems, go sit for 4 hours or so, come home and keep on truckin'....so NOT the case!!!  I asked him previously if I should take the day off work so I could help him, but he was persistent in telling me to go to work and he would be fine...so I went into work today.  I called him on my lunch hour at 12:30 to find out that he had some kind of reaction to the etoposide (one of the chemo drugs).  It wasn't a normal allergic reaction: no hives, itching, etc.  Adam described the sensation like this.  If you have ever had iodine constrast administered through IV, you would understand the sensation better.  It is a weird warming sensation that slowly radiates throughout your body as the iodine pumps through your veins.  Adam said it was that radiating warm feeling, only 10 TIMES WORSE?!?!?  It wasn't warm...it felt like his insides were burning.  That is totally freaky!  The feeling started no more than 10 seconds after the etoposide started through his IV.  The sensation started in his chest and went quickly to his head, causing his neck and face to be extremely flushed and red.  He immediatly told the nurse what was going on and they started him on Benadryl...a large dose of Benadryl.  After flushing his IV with saline, steriods, and the Benadryl, they would be attempt to administer the etoposide again....this time at a much slower rate.  After finding all this out on the phone with Adam, I was a little freaked out, but I'm sure he was more scared than I was....I can't imagine what that must have felt like to go through.  He has had etoposide before (6 years ago), so why did his body take it so poorly today?  We still dont know the answer for sure.  I hurried and got some lunch then went back to work to use the phone (since I accidentally left my cell at home!!), to check on Adam.  I called Adam on his cell phone( just 30 minutes after I got off the phone with him)...but no answer.  I called again 5 minutes later, and again no answer.  Then I started to get really worried.  I got in the phone book to track down the office number and got transfered to the chemo area.  I asked the nurse if everything was ok with him, he wasn't answering his cell.  She reported that he was sleeping.  After such a massive dose of Benadryl the poor guy couldn't keep his eyes open.  She then told me they had started the etoposide again at a slower rate and that he was doing just fine, and that he wouldn't be done for another 2 or 2.5 hours.  I was able to leave work early and headed up to his Dr.'s office.  When I got there Adam was awake, but pretty drowsy.  He finished up the IV of cysplatin and another of saline and he was done for the day.  The 4.5 hours of chemo quickly turned into full 8 hour day, POOR GUY!  The nurse attempted to explain possible causes of his adverse reaction, here are the possibilities: 1) He had an allergic reaction the meds.  2) The bag with the etoposide in it might have not gotten shaken enough when they started the IV, so there could have been a higher concentration of the drug at the bottom.  3)  They put the drugs in too quickly, basically shocking his body with an overdose of the med.  They are suspecting #3 is what happened, but can't be fore sure until they try it again tomorrow.  They will start him without any Benadryl and will slow the IV rate down....and keep our fingers crossed!  We will update you on how that goes tomorrow.

As for this evening...again, not great.  Brynnley woke up singing, talking, and wanting to play.  Normally that is fine and no big deal, but Adam wasnt feeling very well.  I was trying to get Brynnley fed, get Adam some fluids and food, and trying to do the dishes...but it didn't go very well.  Brynnley just wanted to talk and sing at the top of her lungs and would not use her "inside" voice.  Adam was being very patient, but I could tell he felt horrible, was exhausted, and am sure the noise was bothering him.  After trying to distract Brynn for awhile, she and I went to the store with our friend, Sharee.  Then we had to drive back downtown to get the car Adam drove this morning.  Since he was so druged up on Benadryl this afternoon, he couldn't drive the car back home.  Once we got home again, I got Brynn ready and off to bed!!  As you have read, Adam didn't get very far in his blog entry.  He is so tired, nauseous, and was ready for bed at 9:15.  If you know Adam, you know he is a night owl!  So when he came to me at 9:15 to see if I could finish his blog, I knew he felt like "a big, greasy turd" (one of Adam's favorite sayings...hahahaha!). 

I apologize I am not the creative author Adam is, but I guess it is better than nothing.  I hope he does better tomorrow!  It is so hard to watch someone you love so much, who is normally so active, fun, and lively, sit on the couch for 5 hours straight and feel so awful.  I wish I could take some of the discomfort away from him.  He has been through so much in 4 short weeks and totally doesn't deserve this.  One thing is for sure, I admire his strength and positive attitude through all this. I know he is a fighter and will get through this.  This might be a long road, but we are hoping for the best.  Hopefully he will be able to put his own words on this blog soon!

1 comment:

Dave and Debbie said...

Noelle, we know that this is equally as painful for you, watching your husband suffer so much. Our thoughts and prayers include you. You are a rock! We love you and are so glad that you are with Adam in this terrible trial. Stay strong and take care of yourself and the little baby girl you are carrying. What a happy day it will be in January!