Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Bad week

So its 3am, Wednesday, Oct 27 and I'm sitting in Deaconess Hospital in the Oncology ward.  Yes, this is my 2nd night here.  I slept for almost 5 hours and have woken up restless in the most uncomfortable bed that was ever invented.  My tailbone is sore from sleeping upright due to the constant acid reflux, thanks Cisplatin.  I had the worst dinner I've ever eaten in my entire life and I just started my 3rd bag of fluids to help rehydrate myself after a horrific weekend.  I LOVE CHEMOTHERAPY!!!!!!

I really need to be careful what I say because, in reality, the technology that has given us these incredibly aweful drugs is also giving me a chance to live a completely normal, cancer free life.  So be it. 

Here's a breakdown of the weekend.  Constant nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.  No food.  Very little water.  The diarrhea was due to the drugs causing so much constipation that I was drinking prescription ex-lax every 2 hours.  I was taking 3 different anti-nausea meds but none was helping.  I felt ok and ate breakfast on Saturday but that was basically the last thing I ate until coming to the hospital.

So, now I'm on about 6 different presciptions including steroids for a few days until the effects of the Cisplatin hopefully wear off.  I was able to eat 3 meals, well if you can call them meals, yesterday and have held everything down.  I'm hoping the doctor will send me home with a better drug regimen in the morning. 

All I can say about the last 4-5 days is that it was absolute hell.  The combination of reflux, constipation, nausea and and exhaustion is something that is just indescribable.  Throw in vomiting and diarrhea and you have the perfect storm.  I've had food poisoning and really bad flu bugs but nothing compares and no one should have to deal with it.  Such is life I guess.  I think mentally and emotionally it was the most difficult.  I was all over the place.  I'm not sure what Noelle thought when I told her that I wasn't doing any more chemotherapy because I couldn't handle it.  Or how she felt when broke down more than once at completely random times.  I think she's only seen me cry maybe 4-5 times in the 12 years we've known each other but I just couldn't help it.  The mental aspect of this disease is something I think I'm going to be dealing with for a long, long time.  I'm as optimistic as they come, ask just about anyone I know, but when I look at Brynnley or my 6 month pregnant wife the thought inevitably creeps in...  What if I might not be there for them in the future... What if I might not see my girls have a family of their own one day...  If that doesn't make any grown man cry, he's not a man and doesn't deserve to have those blessings in his life.  Just my opinion :)  I'm not exactly sure how to deal with those thoughts right now but the only thing to do is move on and and push through.  I've been blessed with an incredible wife who is everything to me and I'll never be able to express that to her.  I have a beautiful little girl that isn't even 2 1/2 yet but is going to be brilliant and do great things in this world.  And I have a little one the way who is going to endure so much before she even gets here that is she has no choice but to be amazing.  And, to top it all off I've got an amazing support system that is behind me in everything and asks for nothing from me.  What else can ask for?

I've shared far too much personal information, I'm on too many drugs and its 4 am.  Maybe I'll be feeling well enough to post something a little more uplifting tomorrow.  Since I haven't been able to eat for 5 days, all I can think about is food, it's a problem.  I have a master plan to solve my food cravings and cure my Texas homesickness.  Maybe I'll post about that tomorrow.  Only 2 months left......  

8 comments:

Dave and Debbie said...

Well, you have made me bawl! I am your mom and have only seen you cry a couple of times, so I think you deserve to cry all you want and whenever you want. I want so badly to take this away from you, it just doesn't seem fair. But you are an inspiration to us all, even to those who you don't know. Please don't give in to those negative thoughts, this will be over soon, for good! I love you more than you know, well, now that you have Brynn, maybe you do know. The love just grows as you do. Call us when you need us. Love You, mom

Sean said...

After reading this I can tell you I am a man. Love you Bro

Geo said...

Adam, you and your family are quite amazing! We know that you are going to make it through. I am glad to see that you show emotions because my husband doesn't. Trials suck but we somehow become stronger because of them.
Geo's wife

Gayle Lambert said...

We are praying for health and continued strength daily. May the Lord uplift you and Noelle and give you the strength to draw upon when you need it. LOts of love, your other Mom

The Oakey's said...

I'm not sure what to say other than you literally have an army of support around you! Wish we could do more and take some of it away!

Lambert the Sheepish Lions said...

After all the "negative" posted feelings, it's AMAZING to me that you are able to have the ability to see the positive as well. To live through this and still have your chin held high is an amazing example to me.

To be able to express your feelings for your wife and daughter(s) in such a way, I hope you know you are an amazing person inside and out, and that your family is very lucky to have you in their lives.

Thank you for being you

Carrie said...

Hi. I am Carrie Jan's your sis in laws aunt. My husband and I went through this testicular cancer process in 1993. He had some of the same experiences as you and I watched and went through the whole process just like your wife is doing. If you or she ever wants to talk to me you can.

Unknown said...

We are hoping things have turned around Adam. You definitely need to come visit Texas soon man. Give me a call anytime.