Sunday, October 10, 2010

Noisy geese and chest tubes...

I have to apologize for not posting anything the last few days.  Here's a quick synopsis of what I've been up to the last few days.  I've been sitting on the couch trying to breath normally again.  That's about it.  On Saturday morning we went and picked pumpkins in Green Bluff, it was actually pretty fun.  Brynnley loved the geese and we got some great pumpkins, 133 lbs worth to be exact :-)



"They're so noisy daddy!"



Pumpkin rides with the Grandmas

On the gorey details, as promised...

I was really worried about surgery but felt confident that the doctor would get the job done.  He did, and we were grateful to know that things played out the best that they could have.  It made for one long day for Noelle and especially my mom.  We were called by the hospital at 6:00am and told to be there early because my OR time could possibly move up.  We arrived at 7:30am, I was prepped and my mom and Noelle were brought back into wait with me.  At 1:20pm I was wheeled back for surgery.  Noelle had been strong for nearly 2 weeks but lost it as they came in to take me away.  I did my best to make sure she knew everything would be fine, but I also couldn't blame her.  It was strange for me because I had been extremely anxious at around 9:00am but after waiting for close to six hours, I was just ready to get it done.  Plus, the nurse anesthetist had already given me something to calm me down, that might have helped.  The only thing I remember from the OR was sliding myself onto the table, them strapping down my left arm and maybe 3 breaths through the oxygen mask.  Those drugs are amazing! 

The next thing I knew, I couldn't see straight and my back was aching and I was already in my room.  The surgery itself only took about 45 minutes!  Noelle was in shock that they were done so quick.  The doctor had to make 4 "poke holes" in between my ribs, through the muscle and through my chest wall.  He was able to quickly locate both lesions and remove them.  The best part was that the lesion in my chest was actually completely contained within my lung!  This was the best thing we could have hoped for.  He didn't have to try and resect the azygous vein or worry about my trachea, esophagus or heart!  We couldn't have been more grateful.  It also meant no major incision, no ribs spreading devices from hades and a much quicker recovery time.  It was great news to say the least.

What wasn't great was the chest tube they had to leave in.  It was a 1/2" diameter, 8 inch long plastic tube inserted into one of the poke holes in my chest.  It was connect to a suction device and had to remain there until my chest cavity was clear or fluid and air.  It was probably the most excruciating 24 hours I've ever had to deal with.  I was on a Dilaudid pain pump (which is roughly 5 times stronger than morphine).  It allows you to administer pain medication to yourself as you need it.  You can only push the button once every 8 minutes.  Let me tell you, during the time when I wasn't sleeping (which was a lot of the time), I was counting down the seconds until I could push that little button again.  It was unbelievable.  I didn't watch TV, read a book, play PSP, nothing.... All I could do was focus on getting enough air to stay comfortable and wait for that 8 minute clock to countdown.  About 3 times I experienced lung spasms.  I don't know if that was what they were, but that's what it felt like.  My entire right side felt like it was spasming uncontrollably and forcing the air out of my lung.  It was everything I could do to not pass out.  I just had to grip the side of the bed, focus on getting air into my lungs and wait it out.  If I wasn't also focusing on holding my tongue, I know I could have made a number of nurses cry, I'm sure of it but I was a good boy :-)  Never experienced anything like it. 

I felt terrible because my mom stayed with me all night with the chest tube and pain pump and all that nastiness.  I know I yelled at her at least once to get out of the room when my chest was spasming like crazy.  I don't think she probably got a wink of sleep.  All I can remember is fumbling around for the pain pump and begging for some sips of water.  What we will do for our kids, eh?  Love ya mom! 

Thankfully my chest x-rays were clear by 2pm on Wednesday and they were able to remove it.  After removing the catheter that allowed me to pee into bag for a day (which is a lovely experience by the way), I was done with the pain pump by that evening and walking out the door by 9am the next morning.  No joke, once that blasted chest tube was out, I was good to go. 

I'm sure glad to be in the comfort of home but being a big, muscular guy has its drawbacks with this type of surgery.  4 poke holes through your chest wall is not a comfortable thing.  I've only been able to sleep sitting up and only for 2-4 hours at a time.  I can't wait for the day I can sleep on my side or my stomach.  I'm too stubborn to take the pain pills they perscibed because I hate the side effects.  It's getting better each day but in general I'm exhausted.  I'm slightly limited in movement but I can finally put Brynnley to bed again.  She had a rough few days with daddy in the hospital.  She loves for me to put her to bed at night and I haven't been able to do that much since my 1st surgery three weeks ago.  I've got to say I miss it too.  She's such a sweetheart, can they please stay like this forever?  I scolded her today for throwing a temper tantrum for no reason whatsoever.  She is still a 2 yr old but I know she understands so I try my best to talk her through things like that.  Sometimes she gets time-out, sometimes she understands and moves on.  Then, tonight as I put her in bed, she says "I love you daddy, I'm sorry for yelling at you today."  If that doesn't melt your heart, you probably don't have one.  I'm just puddy in her hands..... Will she still let daddy tuck her in to bed in 10 years when she's almost 13?  I didn't think so.... 

6 comments:

M+J=K3+E said...

We are so happy to hear that things went well. Your little cutie is so cute! And so true, what we do for our kids...you never understand until you have one of your home. And poor Noelle, I can only imagine how she felt! Glad it turned out so great for you both! Here's hoping to a speedy recovery!

Dolores said...

So glad you updated - we worry about all of you...Brynn is sure growing and talking alot..Keep us informed and know that we think of you everyday and wish for the very best. Love you Gma

Paula Brown said...

Thank you so much, Adam, for sharing your feelings! We are grateful for a good outcome, and hope and pray that it stays that way!! We miss y'all!

Gayle Lambert said...

We're so glad we could spend some time with you all and help through this tough time...at least I hope it was help. It's good to see you feeling stronger again and we pray and shed a few tears once a while for your complete recovery. I'm sure you know how much we love you and your family, but we will tell you again. We are always here to help, so don't hesitate to ask.

Gayle Lambert said...

We are glad we could spend time with you and Noelle and come and help through this tough time...at least I hope it was a help. It is good to see you feeling a bit better. You're a pretty good patient. We pray for your complete recovery and know that we are here for ongoing help any time you need it. Love you tons!

Denice said...

I am so happy and relieved to hear that things are going so well! I will continue to send good vibes your way. Brynnley is so stinking cute..please give her big loves for me..and your sweet wife too!