Monday, November 29, 2010

9 days left

Day 11 of my 20 days of chemotherapy is over with so I'm officially over the hump!  It was the 1st time for the nurses to use my port so I was nervous.  They prescribed me some Lidocane gel that I was supposed to rub on the site about an hour before my treatment.  The gel just numbed the area up a little bit so that the needle wouldn't hurt so bad.  Needless to say, I forgot to put the gel on.  Turns out that having a nurse access the port with a larger needle is MUCH LESS painful than having her miss 3-4 IV's in my hand with a tiny little needle.  It was quick and relatively painless.  I had my computer out cruising for some killer Cyber Monday deal (of which there were many) and was feeling relatively good.  I was even able to take a quick nap during the Cisplatin infusion.  BTW, this is the daily regimen when I am getting treatment...

~ 600 cc of saline for hydration = 1 hr
Decadron (steroids) and Anzemet (anit-nausea) = 20 min
~ 251 mg of Etoposide (Chemo drug #1) = 45 min
~ 51 mg of Cisplatin (Chemo drug #2) = 50 min
~ 600 cc of saline = 1 hr

Towards the end of the last saline infustion I started feeling it.  The ache nausiousness that always rears its ugly head.  The crummy thing is that for my 2nd cycle this feeling didnt hit me until Wednesday morning.  I downed almost an entire footlong from Subway and a bag of chips at lunchtime and felt great.  I drove myself home, took a nap, and Noelle's mom fixed a yummy dinner.  As I sat down to eat I realized I had no desire whatsoever to eat anything.  Bummer.  I forced myself to eat some chicken and rice but it was maybe 1/4 of what I would normally eat.  I guess its true that the more chemo you are exposed to, the quicker your body reacts to it.  So, thats that, looking forward to another long week.  It is tolerable though, after tomorrow's session I'll only have 8 days left.  I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!  It sure does make it easier with this little girl around.
I can't wait to meet her little sister.  Sorry for the poor quality but was the best I could pull off with ultrasound pictures.  Enjoy!
 





No comments: