Monday, November 22, 2010

Thankful for a good week

 

Awww, it's finally the good week.  Another week has passed so I guess it's time to blog again....ehh, sorry.  It's very frustrating because I honestly mean to update the blog, and heaven knows I spend enough time sitting on the computer, but I forgot or don't know what to say or blah blah blah.  Moving on....  I'm so thankful that my good week is falling on Thanksgiving.  I'm really excited because in my good weeks, I can eat pretty much anything I want.  I can't wait for all the Thanksgiving goodies!

A few things have happened since my last post.  Last Thursday I had a port placed in my chest.  For chemotherapy patients it means that I can get my chemo drugs, have blood drawn and have contrast injected for CT scans without having to get an IV in my arms.  I should have done it from the beginning but I was being stuborn.  I described the procedure to my mom and she cringed more than a few times so I thought some of you might find it interesting.  It's not a great picture, but here's how it works.  There is diaphram in the center that can be puntured by a special needle.  The drugs are injected just like a regular IV.  They go through the diaphram and into a catheter that is hanging right at the entrance to my heart.  This is a good thing because instead of the drugs working their way through small veins in my arm, they are quickly pushed through my whole blood stream.  Pretty cool little device that will hopefully save some time and headache in starting an IV every day.  The surgery took about 30 minutes and I was home 2 hours later.

Today I met with my oncologist to go over the 2nd cycle.  He answered some of questions and told me that some of the symptoms I was dealing this time around were due to the medications.  Ugghh, a necessary evil I guess.  There are some other things we can try.  When I look back on it, it was really just friday thru monday that were really tough days.  I think I can deal with that for 2 more cycles.  I also found out today that my white cell counts are down again.  Once again I get to do Neupogin shots again.  For the next 2 cycles, I'll get neupogin shots immediately following treatment to make sure that my counts stay high.  It not terrible but not a lot of fun.  If anyone really enjoys bone pain, they have something wrong with them. 

Winter is finally here in Spokane!  There is 2-3 fresh inches on the ground.  Brynnley is just fascinated by the stuff.  Hopefully we can play in it tomorrow or Wednesday and I can take some pictures.  She spent the day today playing with some friends and their 2 pet kittens.  She was so sad to leave when I picked her up :-(   Friends and kitties are so much more fun than daddy.  I'm ok with that :-)  I'm sure thankful to have good friends that we can trust her with when I have all these doctors appointments.  You know who you are, THANKS!!!!!

No comments: