Friday, November 5, 2010

I'm feelin' it

Today I had my 10 day post chemotherapy appointment with Dr. Njuguna, my Oncologist.  I didn't know this but at day 7-10 is when chemo is affecting your system the most dramatically.  It all has to do with cellular reproduction and growth.  Right at this time patients see the 1st effects of hair loss (ala my bald head) as well as a possibly decreased immune system.  At my doctor appointment they do blood tests to check red blood cells, white bloods and platelets (and a long list of other things).  As far as your immune system goes, the white cells are the most critical.  Well, my white cell count is actually pretty low.  Low enough that it sent the doctor into a bit of a craze.  We talked for a few minutes about how things were going and what the plans were for the next cycle of chemo so that I wouldn't end up in the hospital again.  Everything was relaxed and comfortable.  The next thing I know he looked at me and said "what, you're neutropenic?"  I obviously didn't know what that meant but he was pretty shocked.  5 minutes later I was in the chemotherapy suite getting a shot of the drug Neupogen.  None of the nurses seemed to concerned about it but it seemed a little concerning to me.  I get to go another shot tomorrow then Noelle gets to give me a shot on Saturday and one on Sunday.  Essentially, Neupogen is a powerful drug that stimulates your bone marrow to make more white blood cells.  The chemo is killing them off at such a rate that my bone marrow can't keep up.  What it really means, and why Dr. Njuguna was so concerned, is that 1) I'm at a pretty high risk of infection right now, 2) if my white cells don't come up by Monday then I might have to push chemo back OR (and this will suck if I have to do it) I will have to do my chemotherapy next week as an inpatient in the hospital.  Grrrrrrrr, not cool. 

Oh, by the way, I had my Neupogen injection at around 3pm today.  It's about 8 hours later.  Can you guess what it might feel like to have your bone marrow stimulated?  Bone pain, "yeah right, I'm 29 years old".  Whatever, I feel like a 90 year old.  Most of the pain (its really just discomfort at this point) is in my hips and lower back.  I just kind of hobble around and it is hard to even sit and type.  Yipee.....  My body has go to be hating me right now, like really hating me.  Ah well.  This is going to get really interesting if I have to do the remainder of my treatments as an inpatient.  I am not looking forward to that prospect.  Just counting down the days at this point.  Ups and downs, one day at a time....

2 comments:

Dave and Debbie said...

good thing Dad is coming next week. I will come too if needed. We are with you in our hearts, thoughts and prayers. Love you!

Callie Ellis said...

I just barely read your blog for the first time since my computer had a virus. It is so great!! I talked to Camie tonight about that bone pain you're feeling. She is going to call you about it. That first chemo experience sounded horrible!!!! I remember once, this one nurse pushed my drugs in my port too fast and I almost puked right there in my chair. I was so mad. I know what you mean about the acid reflux and constipation. I eventually came up with resolutions for that after dealing with it 2 or 3 times. Brian and I, and our kids have been praying for you and your little family, all the time. The bracelets are so awesome! It's amazing how much strength that support can give you huh? Families are so great!!!